Until about 25 years ago, Spiritual remembrance From Holy Week It is an ideal and a tradition that was extended Cultural activities In Quito

The movie programming that spread Hub And the north of the city changed and into Billboards It was common to see poster announcements Movies From Religious themes.

Something like that custom over the years Movie theaters Plus Ancient The city is gone Invisible.

Those times are just left Stories Which are preserved Space Who has acted as The scene of this experience And in the memory of an entire generation.

“I loved Mexican women and drama, and on Holy Weeks we would watch the Hour Lords movie,” said Jose Chantasi, a Santa Barbara resident who, in his youth, paid up to টাকা 4 to watch El Martটির del Del Calvario.

Chantasi saw this picture in black and white from the gallery or ‘chicken cage’ Kumanda Theater, At the bottom of the compound, a cheaper location than Lunet. Now, a foundation for social and religious support works there.

A few streets to the west Sun Gate Theater That, along Avenue TheaterIt still stands as a witness to the transformation of the city that was once the valley of ‘de los galinazos’ and today the renovated Boulevard 24 de Mayo.

The Sun Gate It belonged to George Cordovez, and later it was part of the Quito Theater and Hotel Company, run by the Capitol, Varieties, Mexico, Commanda, Central, Cologne, Rex, Alhambra, and the Mantilla Jacom brothers.

From this chain, Bolivar It was the jewel of the crown. 89 years of existence and with a power
2,400 seats, an icon of the city’s heritage, explained Rosa Victoria Purdo, executive director of Bolivar Theater Foundation.

The interest, Pardo said, begins again Cinematographic exhibition This year, with the classic International Cinematography.

Near Puerto del Sol, Jose Guerraca guards Avenida, which stopped showing movies more than 40 years ago and becomes a cult space that opens its doors two days a week.

Like other old movies Hollywood Y. MetersWhich in its early years was known as Royal-Eden, had a similar fate and served a religious entity.

Hollywood, along with the United States and Granada, was once considered a ‘forbidden movie’. It was common for pedestrians to increase their speed or avoid posters depicting the emaciated female body or the couple in suggestive poses to avoid their eyes, which revealed the sensual content of the film.

With uninterrupted functions from Sunday to Sunday in its best season, the entrance was conditional for men, of legal age and who paid for their entry.

Despite their notoriety, these movies even took refuge in Holy Week and shut down or altered their programming. Bible movies.

‘Samson and Delilah’, ‘Ben Hur’, ‘The 10 Commandments’, ‘The Passion of the Christ’, ‘King of Kings’ are some of the titles that come to mind when you look at the billboards of the Jose Tumipamba Quito movie.

Action films and martial arts had their own niche, such as the Pichincha Cinema or the Julio Caesar Hidalgo Coliseum.

The golden age of Mexican cinema was followed by the Hollywood boom. That inspired Open From New room Such as Cologne or Los Gেলmelos on Avenue of the same name, in Avi de la Princa.

In the early 1990’s, there were about 22 cinema halls, according to Jorge Salvador Lara in his book Historia de Quito, Luz de America.

From silent films to diversity Sound film Which premiered in Socrates, the cinema and its exhibition halls were part of Quito’s daily life, culture and history.

Located in Guayaquil and Caldas, the Alhambra Cinema is closed and its facilities are in decline. Photo: Diego Pallero / El Comersio
The Puerta del Sol Theater began operations in 1914 at the center now on Avenida and Boulevard 24 de Mayo. Photo: Diego Pallero / El Comersio
The first silent films since 1914 were shown at Tetro Varidades, Manbi and Flores. Photo: Diego Palero / El Comersio
The Sucre Theater, in Guayaquil and Manabi, screened the first sound film in 1930, entitled Shadows of Glory. Photo: Diego Palero / El Comersio
The Avenida Theater is occupied by a church, but still retains the stage, lunettes and gallery structure. Photo: Diego Pallero / El Comersio
The Bolivar Theater, Mirror and Guayaquil, was inaugurated in 1933 with the projection of the ‘sign of the cross’. Photo: Diego Pallero / El Comersio
The Capitol Theater, located on Gran Columbia Avenue, was originally known as Samaniego Palace. Photo: Diego Pallero / El Comersio



https://pulevvsmir.co.uk

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.